Young Filmmakers Camp
ABOUT THE YOUNG FILMMAKERS CAMP
The Michigan Theater’s Young Filmmakers Camp gives middle and high school students the chance to bring their imaginations out from behind the lens and onto the big screen. Campers will receive hands-on experience in making their own short films in a collaborative setting, plus an introduction to the rich and storied history of film. By the end of camp, these budding filmmakers will gain insight on how directing, acting, producing, editing, shooting, and all the other behind-the-scenes magic shapes a film from a simple idea all the way to a Hollywood blockbuster. Kids take part in educational group activities such as film history and screenings, as well as production-related activities such as story boarding and camera placement.
We offer two one-week sessions for kids 11–14 and one one-week intermediate sessions for kids 13–17 or with prior film camp or filmmaking experience.
2019 Camp Information
Intro to Filmmaking
(Suggested for Ages 11-14)
For the kids who dream of making movies, this one-week camp is an opportunity to learn the basics of the filmmaking process by producing, directing, and editing short films. We will provide digital camcorders and computers with professional editing software. Participants just need to bring creativity and a willingness to collaborate!
WEEK 3 August 5-9 8:30AM – 3:30PM
(For Ages 13-17 or prior film camp or filmmaking experience)
This session moves beyond the basics, allowing campers to learn the three necessary components of creating a film. Campers will learn the importance of working together to produce a polished and complete film. They will go through the steps of pre-production, shooting, and finally editing the film into a completed piece.
All camps are offered at the same price. Prices are per student, per week.
Michigan Theater Members (Save $50): $450 (through 5/24); $500 (beginning 5/25)
General Public: $500 (through 5/24); $550 (beginning 5/25)
We will issue a full refund with 2 weeks notice prior to camp’s start date.
Become a Michigan Theater Member and Receive a Discount!
Membership purchases must occur in a separate transaction prior to registering for film camp – member prices are only available to those logged into their member accounts. To qualify for the member discount, you have to be a Basic, Premium or Gold Card Member.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register Your Child Today!
The Michigan Theater offers four full-tuition scholarships to Young Filmmakers Camp every year. Four campers, one for each week of film camp, will be selected to receive these scholarships. We believe no student or family should be discouraged from applying to Young Filmmakers’ Camp because of lack of funds. We welcome a broad cross section of families who believe in their children and in their ability to succeed.
How To Apply:
- Select the camp you wish to have your child attend by clicking the Buy Tickets link
- Select the “Scholarship Applicant” option from the available ticket types
- Complete the available registration. There will be two additional questions available to scholarship applicants: one text box for the essay submission and one to indicate whether you intend to enroll your child in came regardless of whether they receive the scholarship. If you express and intent to enroll your child in the camp regardless of the scholarship, a place will be held for your child in the camp.
- About the essay: Kids must submit a 300 – 500 word essay on:
- Why they are interested in filmmaking (i.e. have previously made films, never made a film but would like to try, love watching movies, etc.)
- What they believe film camp can do for them (i.e. learn new skills, an opportunity to use new film equipment, meet other kids in the area interested in filmmaking, etc.)
- Essays must be submitted with the registration form
Scholarship application deadline is EOD Friday, May 10; scholarship recipients will be announced on Wednesday, May 22 so that those who do not qualify can still receive the discounted early bird rate!