Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM. FREE!
CIUM proudly presents a grand performance of The Lute: Cai Bojie, a Filial Son and a Loyal Official by the Suzhou Kunqu Opera Theater of Jiangsu Province on April 13, 2019 at the Michigan Theater.
Authored by Gao Ming (fl. 1340s), the Lute is a centuries-old masterpiece of Chinese drama/opera that is an allegory of Chinese filial piety, loyalty, sacrifice and gendered rights and responsibilities. Featuring many dramatic moments performed with flowing songs and elegant acting-dancing, the Lute has been continuously performed and negotiated in China. Recently, new versions of the story have been staged as a performance-discourse of 21st century Chinese morals and life-styles. The version to be presented in Ann Arbor premiered in Suzhou in 2018.
Free and open to the public. Click here to RSVP.
[IMPORTANT THEATER RULES]
- You must bring your printed ticket or present your saved ticket image on your mobile.
- Please arrive before 6:45 pm. If you arrive later than this time, your seat could be given to other early audience members.
- Latecomers (later than 7 pm) may NOT be admitted until a suitable break during the performances.
- No photography, audio or video recording is allowed during the event unless otherwise stated by the Organizer.
- If you accompany children, please keep your children with you at all times. You may be asked to leave the theater if your children are disruptive.