State Theatre History
1942: The State Theatre, designed by renowned architect C. Howard Crane, opened with the romantic comedy “The Fleet’s In.”
1977: Divided into a four-screen multiplex by Butterfield Theatres.
1987: Sold to Tom Borders, who redesigned the theater’s main floor for retail and mothballed the second floor balcony.
1992: Balcony reopened as a two-screen second-run film theater.
1997: Sold to a local investor group.
1999: Michigan Theater contracted to provide film programming and marketing services.
2007: Michigan Theater board and staff created a contingency plan to respond to a possible threat to the State Theatre.
2014: Michigan Theater purchased the State Theatre cinemas to preserve and improve them.
2016: The State Theatre closed for renovations.
2017: A rejuvenated State Theatre reopened in December, featuring 4 screens, comfortable reserved seating, improved accessibility, and an expanded concessions menu.